Suite Francaise is an extraordinary novel of life under Nazi occupation -- recently discovered and published 64 years after the author's death in Auschwitz. In the early 1940s, Irène Némirovsky was a successful writer living in Paris. But she was also Jewish, and in 1942 she was arrested and deported to Auschwitz. Her two small daughters, aged 5 and 13, escaped, carrying with them, in a small suitcase, the manuscript -- one of the great first-hand fictional accounts of a way of life unraveling. Part One, "A Storm in June," is set in the chaos of the tumultuous exodus from Paris on the eve of the Nazi invasion. As the German army approaches, Parisians seize what belongings they can and flee the city, the wealthy and the poor alike searching for means to escape. Thrown together under circumstances beyond their control, a group of families and individuals with nothing in common but the harsh demands of survival find themselves facing the annihilation of their world, and human nature is revealed for what it is -- sometimes tender, sometimes terrifying.
Part Two, "Dolce," is set in a German-occupied village near Paris, where, riven by jealousy and resentment, resistance and collaboration, the lives of the townspeople reveal nothing less than the essence of the French identity. The delicate, secret love affair between a German soldier and the French woman in whose house he has been billeted plays out dangerously against the background of Occupation.
5 comments:
One of my favorite novels that I have read in 2007. So glad Wendy suggested this book for posting here...
Jill
http://mrstreme.livejournal.com
I found the author's own story particularly compelling when I read this one!
Hi, Bonnie: I finished my "France" read for this challenge: "Chocolat" by Joanne Harris. My review is posted on my blog. It's a wonderful tale of internal struggles in a small French village when a young woman and her daughter settle there and open up a chocolate shop - right before Lent. A wonderful read and highly recommended!
This sounds really interesting and is set in the same period of a novel I just read that could also be posted for France: Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. Here's my review: http://considerationofbooks.blogspot.be/2013/10/sarahs-key-by-tatiana-de-rosnay-2007.html
Thanks, Amy. I must not have been thinking about this "around the world" challenge when I read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. I read it at the end of 2010 and think it would be among the best novels to represent France that I know of. I'll add it to our list today. If you want to read what I posted about it on my book blog, here's the link:
http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Sarah%27s+Key
Post a Comment