Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Iceland

Wendy said, "Great book for Iceland is: Independent People, by Halldor Laxness. A multi-generational family saga set in a desolate yet beautiful country. My review can be found here."

Halldor Laxness got the 1955 Nobel Prize in Literature for this novel, originally published in 1946 and out of print for decades. Bjartur of Summerhouses, who ekes out his humble living in a constant battle against nature, acquires his own smallholding. After eighteen years of servitude to a master he despised, all he wants is to raise his flocks unbeholden to anyone. Nothing, not inclement weather, not his wives, not his family will come between him and his goal of financial independence. He thinks the ultimate sign of self-sufficiency would be construction of a real house, but what happens when he finally gets that house built?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hi Bonnie! I hope you're doing well!

I finished a fantastic book about Wales. Not sure if Wales is considered a country for this challenge, but if it is, then I suggest Resistance by Owen Sheers!

Take care!
Jill